Stu served as an Assistant Staff Judge advocate where he practiced as an administrative law judge, prosecutor, or defense counsel in over eight hundred actions. Thereafter, Stu practiced in the oil and gas industry by serving as in-house counsel for Panhandle Eastern/Trunkline Gas, Mitchell Energy Corp., and The Coastal Corporation.
In these positions, Stu was engaged in general corporate and administrative law, acquisitions, contracts, antitrust law, land development, litigation management, regulatory compliance and arbitration
In the late 1980s, Stu entered private practice. His practice is concentrated in the areas of corporate transactional matters including corporate organization and structure, merger and acquisition, and real estate.
Stu also practices in the area of estate planning, assisting clients in the selection of estate planning tools and drafting estate planning documents such as wills, living trusts, life insurance trusts, living wills, durable powers of attorney, and durable health care powers of attorney.
- Bachelor of Arts – Syracuse University (1971) Phi Beta Kappa, magna cum laude and with honors in English literature
- Juris Doctor – The University of Connecticut (1974 with honors)
- Commissioned Officer – United States Air Force
- Texas Supreme Court (1974)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- Supreme Court State of Conneticut
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Connecticut
- Houston Bar Association
- Katy Bar Association
- The Rotary Foundation of Rotary International (Paul Harris Fellow)
- Katy Masonic Lodge
- Arabia Shrine Temple
- Westside Shrine Club
- Rotary Club of Katy
- Board of Directors – Houston Methodist West
- Served on the Boards or Advisory Boards of numerous community and charitable organizations